What would you do if you didn’t get the opportunity of following a formal training program to land in a suitable job? Especially when you have acquired necessary skills through experience to practice a particular trade.
Though you can perform what a professional does in the same industry but you don’t carry that particular certification or the recognition as a professional.
Who is there for your rescue?
How about if you can turn your experience into a certification accepted by the industry nationally or maybe internationally through testing your skills to standardize and certify as a professional?
Tired of reading watch a video
Yes, there is a program conducted by the National Apprentice and Industrial Training Authority also known as NAITA and this program existed since 1984?
Yes, the National Apprentice and Industrial Training Authority (NAITA) has been mandated to conduct trade Tests since early 80s. Unfortunately many do not know this great opportunity existed all this time.
Join with me to reveal everything. Let’s explore together about the program in detail to know how it works and how it can benefit to you and your employer.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; but a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist.Louis Nizar
The National Trade Test is a national level effort aimed at testing, standardizing and certifying the skills possessed by craftsmen practicing various trades.
Indeed it is aimed specially for the benefit of skilled craftsmen who have gained their skills through informal means. Yes it’s about you.
How this Tests are conducted?
The National Trade Tests are conducted at four different levels.
- Grade 111 – Semi-skilled
- Grade 11 – Skilled
- Grade 1 – Highly skilled
- CoC – Certificate of Competency. This is a single tier certification, for skills, which are specific in scope.
Eg. Tiler, Heavy Equipment Operator.
Who can sit for the National Trade Test?
Those who had not had the opportunity of following a formal training program, but had acquired the skills necessary to practice a trade through themselves. Shortly, anyone who has had experience in the chosen trade/field can apply to sit the National Trade Test.
- No formal Training required
- No paper qualifications needed
- No age limit
Benefits of National Trade Test
A national level trade test will benefit bo the employee and the employer as well. While an employee is certified possessing a particular skill an employer can be certain that the employee will perform as per their expectations to ensure return on investment (ROI).
Benefits to Employees
- Effective use of Resources
- Improved chances of promotions
- Those who had not had the opportunity of following a formal training program, but had acquired the skills necessary to practice a trade through themselves by sitting for a National Trade Test and receiving a National Trade Certificate.
Benefits to Employers
- Effective use of Resources.
- Improved productivity.
- Effective cost control.
- Transfer of skills with minimum disturbance.
- Faster output.
- Improved quality of finished products.
- Increased profitability.
- Effective use of Resources.
- Reduction of time loss due to accidents because certificated workers are safety concerned.
What are the Testing Areas under the Trade Test?
The NAITA statistics in their website indicate that, over the years there has been a considerable increase in the numbers tested and certified, who are outside the construction industry sector. NAITA maintains rigorous standards in these tests in order to meet internationally accepted standards ultimately resulting in higher productivity and quality standards.
These are the current areas tested. If you don’t see a particular trade in the list you may consult them to verify if it has been added lately, in the list or considered in near future.
List of Trades
- Electrical Wire-man
- Masonry (Block Mason)
- Steel Fixing and Bar Bending
- Vehicle Plant Mechanic
- Crawler Dozer Operator
- Motor Grader Operator
- Motor Scraper Operator
- Hydraulic Type Crane Operator
- Wheel Loader Operator
- Hydraulic Excavator Operator
- Crawler Type Crane Operator
- Automotive Mechanic
- Filter (General)
- Machinist (General)
- Electrician (Power)
- Ref, & Air Con Mechanic
- Precast Concrete Layer
- Roofer (Wooden)
- Stenographer (English)
- Construction Supervisor
- Cabinet Maker
- Pantry Cupboard Maker
- T.V. Radio & Electronic Equipment Repairer
- Automobile Electrician
What are the IT Field Trades tested by NAITA?
Currently there are three areas covered in the field of Information Technology.
- Sri Lanka Computer Competency License (SLCCL)
- Computer Graphic Design
- Computer Hardware Technician
The Sri Lanka Computer Competency License (or SLCCL) is a Certificate on basic computer skills. There are no entry requirements and any person who has acquired the necessary skills may apply to sit for the test in obtaining the License.
What Sri Lanka Computer Competency License (SLCCL) Test covers?
Here is the high level scope of this test. This Test will test knowledge and skills pertaining basic concepts in Information Technology (IT). Almost all Tests will be practical except for one theory related to fundamentals of IT.
- Introduction to Information Communication Technology (ICT)
- Computer History & Generations
- Computer System
- Windows O/S
- MS Word
- MS PowerPoint
- MS Excel
- MS Access
Apart from conducting and certifying various trade tests, NAITA also provides other services related to the same course.
- Educating Industry workmen on importance of Skills Certification.
- Conduct bridging Courses for skills upgrading.
- Conduct promotion tests for Employees.
- Conduct National Trade Test (NTT) on priority basis.
What is the application process?
Application process is very simple and affordable (I call it peanuts). It is strongly advised that you ensure updated details for the Application form and payment details by referring to the original NAITA website.
- Obtain an application form and fill your details (Obtainable from NAITA Head office, NAITA District offices or download from the Web)
- Obtain a slip by paying Rs. 1000/= to any People’s Bank Branch as Examination fee.
The examination fee has to be credited to the credit of
"National Apprentice and Industrial Training Authority
Peoples Bank, Nugegoda, Collection Account No. 174100170347379".
- Send both the duly perfected application form together with the payment slip to the following address under registered cover.
Assistant Director (Evaluation)
National Trade Testing Division
NAITA, No.971, Sri Jayawardenapura Mawatha,
Download Application Form at NAITA Website
If you like this post, please like and share with your friends who may in need.
If you have comments I would love to hear them from you.
We have a Forum to discuss about Sri Lanka Computer Competency License (SLCCL). You can access same here.
If you liked this article write your comments below and join our Forum to take this forward.
advertising affiliate content creators CSI data delete email earn online ecommerce eject usb Final Save freelance freelancer how to pass itil v3 foundation exam i know how it works internet money ITIL itil exam tips ITILF ITIL framework ITSM learn online legitimate Mark as Final master card microsoft excel microsoft outlook Microsoft Word odesk paste special payoneer payoneer account paypal payza PDCA pull out usb recall email recall this message replace email Sybex transpose undo email Unsend email usb US payment service worksheet
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating / 5. Vote count: